Monday, April 13, 2009

The Invention of Morel

This book was the definition of psychological. I was confused. I'm not a stupid person, and I'm usually quick to understand. This was completely different. The Invention of Morel took me on a psychological adventure the likes of which I had never experienced. I'll explore a few of the things a thought as I read.

1. He's hallucinating. This was the easiest and quickest idea I had. He's seeing people and the buildings. He's dehydrated an having hallucinations. This was proved wrong by the fugitive himself proving this wrong.

2 Faustine was hallucinating. Once I ruled out the fugitive hallucinating, I immediately thought that maybe the fugitive was an elaborate hallucination by Faustine. An illusion that maybe she was trying to ignore. I thought this because of the fugitive's many attempts and failures to get Faustine's attention.

3. None of it existed. Another thought I had was that the fugitive was in jail. He was dreaming or hallucinating the entire island and scenario from his jail cell. I thought this was not very creative though.

Of course, I never predicted anything close to the truth. A machine that essentially captures events and objects within a certain frame of time. Smells, noise, objects and sights all captured and replayed. This is an extremely scary thought. Would our world be able to hand such a machine? Paranoia would run a muck. There would be no way to tell what was real and what was not. It would be too much to handle. This invention would be the destruction of society.

Would this mean that being filmed and reproduced by this machine is certain death physically? Would your whole self getting copied destroy your physical body? I don't think so. I believe that this physical deterioration is symbolic of the mental and emotional deterioration that would certainly happen. There is no way encountering a machine that breaks the laws of physics and reality would not have a major consequences. A physical reaction seems unlikely unless it is a result of the mental reaction.

Overall the story was awe inspiring. It was an experience like no other. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment