Monday, May 25, 2009

Where am I?

Its an interesting question to ask. At first its really simple: I'm sitting in my room. The problem with that answer is it says very little about where I truly am, so a better answer would be this:

I am sitting in my room. Its located on Western Washington University's Campus in Bellingham, WA.

Still this answer is hardly adequate. Can you find me if you left where you are now? This gets us to another pressing point; have you not already found me if you are reading this?

We are in multiple locations at all times. We are in multiple physical, digital and emotional locations at all times. For instance, back to the physical, I am in my room, on my bed, in the USA, on Earth or on Western's Campus. Emotionally my mind is no where near my room...I'm thinking about my date, my day, the fact that my feet hurt, school, work, my future and my friends. Digitally I'm on the internet so I'm on my blog, on facebook, on msn and I'm on Western's website.

Where am I? I really can't answer that. This seemingly easy question turns into an extremely ambiguous unanswerable question.

Where am I turns into a question of my identity, location, personality and mind packed into three words. If I told you everything on my mind, where I am physically located and the digital worlds I am involved with, you would know every aspect of my life.

We are more than just "where are you," "how are you," "where you from" and "what's up." Its about time we expanded our question database to include more in-depth or specific ideas behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment