Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Critical Thinking is Depressing.

I'm officially convinced: ignorance is truly bliss.

Sometimes I wish I could be oblivious. I was reading Cosmo in the car coming back from Seattle. I use to love reading Cosmo. It's shallow and funny and sexy. I must have refrained from reading for a while though because this was a much different circumstance.

I was appalled. Reading it for the last time I was disgusted by what I saw: heterosexism, gender enforcement and rape culture enforcement. I'll break it down piece by piece.

Heterosexism: There was no consideration of woman who like woman...or men who like men. Every page was about women pleasing men. How to best serve men. There wasn't any acknowledgment about any other sexual orientation.

Gender enforcement: Every page was about how women should act. About what man they should be looking for. There were articles talking about how if men don't want sex there is something wrong. I almost threw up. Every page was a visual example of why women have so many body issues and why its so hard for men and women to connect. This magazine was single-handedly separating the genders.

Rape-Culture enforement: this is a hard concept to understand. America is a rape-culture. Meaning our culture allows excuses for rape and almost encourages it. . So how does this magazine do this? This magazine had a 6 page article about how women should protect themselves from rape and horror stories of women being attacked on the streets. Ok...two things: we need to focus MEN to stop rape. It is not the woman's job. Scare tactics should not be a way to educate. Woman should not be afraid to step on the street alone at night. Another thing is that getting raped on the street RARELY happens. As in hardly ever. This article was almost implying that its the woman's fault because she was drinking. It was on the verge of saying that women shouldn't drink because they'll be raped.

This is why I want to be ignorant. All of these magazines, commercials, TV shows, movies and any media would still be funny or entertaining. I would find humor in more jokes and live life less angry.

Social Justice is my passion and I'd never give it up, but sometimes I dream of a different world. I also know that I have much closer and better friends because I am not ignorant...but I guess ignorant people wouldn't realize their friendships are shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment