Monday, June 1, 2009

Time Travel

So we watched a movie about Time Travel the other day in class. Only one thing was in my mind as we watched...confusion. The movie had an interesting spin on Time Travel though. It made it really realistic. A scientific experiment that developed over years. The excitement, the fear and the glory were all so realistic it made it seem possible. But I was still confused and felt like my head was going to explode thinking of the Physics of Time Travel.

Time Travel is impossible to comprehend. I don't mean that it is impossible for me personally to understand, but impossible for humans in general to understand. There is too much mystery and confusion. It seems impossible to me for a couple reasons.

Time is memory. How can a memory be traveled into? We, as humans, have constructed the concept of "past" and "future." We decide that because we can remember things...they leave imprints on our mind...that there is a possibility that they are still happening. We find comfort in not being as boxed in as only having the present.

There have been no signs of time travel. If it was possible, we would start seeing signs of it. People from the future would be around and accidentally spilling secrets. They would not be crazy people on the street. They would be scientists and the richest of the rich. There would also be natural phenomena. Things such as deja vu, but more intense.

I am a skeptic. I like to see things before I become legitimately interested. I also like to find out how things work before I believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment